Here at LifeSmiles Dentistry we know visiting a dentist can be an anxious or terrifying event for children as well as adults. Our practice strives to provide you with a comfortable and welcoming environment and all our dentists and office staff are trained to treat you with the outmost respect and support.
In order to make your appointment a better experience, our practice has several sedation options available. Dentists today use sedation not only as an anaesthetic during dental procedures to reduce the amount of discomfort and pain you experience but also to allow you to be relaxed and have a comfortable experience. If you are relaxed, the dentists can treat you faster and with better results and it is safer for you.
There are two types of sedation: conscious or deep sedation. Your dentists will evaluate your condition and prescribe the best option for you. Deep sedation is when you are put to sleep under anaesthesia. A specialist will monitor you during the procedure and wake you up once the treatment is done. This is a solution for patients that might suffer severe anxiety or have problems sitting still for long periods. By utilising this method of sedation, your dentist can perform the procedure without you feeling any discomfort and being completely relaxed and cooperative.
Conscious sedation is when the dentist keeps you awake but you still feel relaxed and the pain is blocked so you don’t feel any discomfort. In this type of sedation, you stay awake and responsive, however, you cannot move so you don’t pose any safety risks while the dentist performs your procedure. When your treatment is short or not very complex this type of sedation is more effective.
How can conscious sedation be good for me?
- Wears off fast
- Quick recovery
- Stay awake
- Different methods available: oral, IV, injections, nitrous oxide
- No specialist is needed to sedate you
What methods are used for conscious sedation?
- Oral sedation – before the treatment, pills or liquid are taken so you can be relaxed and the pain is minimized. If you suffer from anxiety, another sedation option will be combined so you can feel relaxed during your treatment.
- IV sedation – the anaesthetic is administered through an intravenous line.
- Injections – analgesics are injected into the muscle of the area that will be treated so the pain can be blocked and you don’t feel any discomfort during the treatment.
- Nitrous oxide – or laughing gas is breathed through a mask which relaxes you and it’s administered together with an analgesic to minimize the pain.
If you or your loved ones suffer from anxiety, talk to our dentists or staff to discuss what sedation option is best for you. Call LifeSmiles Dentistry for the best options in sedation dentistry so we can make you feel comfortable and give you the best treatment possible.
At LifeSmiles Dentistry, your oral health and beautiful smile is our main priority. We strive to provide the best dental care possible in a relaxed and friendly environment to the people of West Lafayette, Indiana. Call us today for an appointment or to ask about our services.